PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
We are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you.
Design West (the trading name of Bristol Centre for the Advancement of Architecture Limited, registered charity no. 290575) – & associated brands listed below – offer a range of services, transactions & communications which requires the processing of your personal data.
Using personal information allows us to provide you with relevant & timely information about the work that we do & to develop a better understanding of our audiences. As a registered charity, it also helps us to engage with potential donors & supporters.
The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear explanation about how Design West collects & processes your information.
We use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. This policy explains:
- What information we may collect about you
- How and why we may use that information
- In what situations we may disclose your details to third parties
- Information about how we keep your personal information secure, how long we maintain it and your rights to be able to access it
If you have any queries about this policy, please contact us by writing to Design West, 16 Narrow Quay, Bristol BS1 4QA, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHO WE ARE
Design West is a registered charity & company guaranteed by shares (constituted as Bristol Centre for the Advancement of Architecture Ltd). Founded in 1996, Design West is a centre of excellence for design & placemaking. Our mission is to inspire the public, politicians & professionals across the built environment to design, better, healthier, places to live, work & relax. We learn from our heritage to build our future. A registered charity we put design & social value at our heart. Design West is the new name for The Architecture Centre & Creating Excellence.
Our audited accounts are available from the Charities Commission & Companies House download.
Charity registration number: 290575
Company registration number: 01831268
OUR WORK FALLS UNDER THREE KEY BRANDS:
Design West: www.designwest.org.uk
Bristol Open Doors: www.bristolopendoors.org.uk
Design Review West: www.designreviewwest.org
- When do we collect information
- What information we collect
- Data control
- Why we collect your personal information and how we use it
- Who do we share your information with
- How we protect your information
- Your rights and how to contact us
- Third party links
- Our websites
WHEN DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM YOU?
Generally, we collect your information when you decide to interact with us. This could include booking tickets online (usually through Eventbrite/Patronbase), over the phone or in person or it could be when you sign up to receive emails from us. We also look at how our audience use our website, so that we can offer the best possible experience whether you’re booking tickets, booking a review or just trying to find out more about our work or what’s on.
We collect information when you:
- Book tickets for one of our events or book onto a Design Review (this includes public talks at Design West, tickets for Bristol Open Doors, or a Design Review through Design Review West) through our website (via Eventbrite/Patronbase) in person, over the phone or online
- Donate or provide sponsorship to us, or meet to discuss potential support you may give
- Subscribe to any of our mailing lists
- Use the interactive sections of our Sites
- Hire one of our rooms
- Attend a meeting, event or workshop
- Engage with us on our social channels
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
The personal data we collect about you varies depending on the service you request from us.
When you book tickets for our public talks programme or for Bristol Open Doors we may collect:
- Email address
- Contact phone numbers
- Age/date of birth
- Access requirements
- Purchase history
- Names/emails of other attendees
In addition to the above, when you donate we may also collect:
- Bank details (to process direct debits)
- Gift Aid status
- Donation history
When you call or email us to make a room booking we may collect:
- Email address
- Contact phone number
- Allergy Information for the group
When you book in for a Design Review we may collect:
- Email address
- Contact phone numbers
- Access requirements
- Purchase history
- Names and email addresses of other people and organisations involved in the scheme
Information obtained through cookies*, when you use our website or engage with our emails:
- IP address
- Web browser type and version
- Type of device
- Operating system
- Web address you arrived at our site from
- Length of visit
- Other information we collect:
Correspondence: If you correspond with us generally, for example to raise a query, comment or complaint about any of our services, we will also collect any other information you choose to send to us in that correspondence.
Postal Address: If you attend one of our events, we give you the option to include your postal address, this helps us to understand where our audiences come from.
Payment details: When you donate to Design West, we will collect payment information from you such as credit or debit card details or bank information for the purposes of taking payment or setting up a direct debit through our third party providers.
Allergy & dietary information: If you hire us for an event & you use our catering services, we may also collect allergy & dietary information about you or your guests attending the event. This information will only be used for the purposes of facilitating the catering for your event.
Design West is the data controller for all data we collect & store.
We collect personal information through a number of different ways when you choose to interact with us, all of which are subject to strict data security processes to ensure your personal information is kept safe at all times.
In addition we use the following data processors to enable us to collect, process & securely store the data we obtain.
We only work with a small number of established third party data processors where necessary to facilitate audience transactions and communications, for example for booking or communications purposes. We keep these minimal & we make any affiliation clear when signing up to or making the purchase/donation.
For example we use:
Eventbrite/Patrobase & occasionally paypal to process ticket bookings, purchases & some donations.
Mailchimp to manage our email communications.
Any data processed on behalf of Design West is processed only to the extent required by them to perform the services that Design West requests. Any use for other purposes is strictly prohibited within a data sharing agreement between us & the provider. Furthermore, any data that is processed by third parties must be processed within the terms of this policy & in accordance with the United Kingdom Data Protection Act 2018 & General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND HOW WE USE IT
We use information in a number of ways, the main ways being:
- because it is necessary to administer the services you have requested from us and to fulfil our obligations to you in providing these services; or
- to inform you by email or other means of similar events or services run by us which we think may interest you; or
- in the case of our profiling (see below) in order to pursue Design West’s legitimate interests in raising funds. Where we process your personal data on this basis, we will only do so where it does not prejudice your own privacy rights
Specifically we use your information in the following ways:
- To carry out our business and to provide a service or carry out a contract with you
- To fulfil ticketing and/or donation requests (including confirmation of your booking or donation by email and/or letter)
- Process payments (Please note we do not store any Credit Card or other payment information once the transaction has been completed)
- Provide the best possible customer services and to help us with our internal administration
- Contact you with important information relating to your booking or donation, such as confirming your order, reminding you of an upcoming event you’ve booked for or letting you know about updates to event details
Where we have your consent:
- Send you updates via email about what’s on, news or about supporting us
- Share your details with other arts organisations whose work you may have seen at, or in partnership with Design West. This will be limited to name, email address and booking details for the event linked with the partner organisation. You will always be able to opt out of their communications by contacting them directly
- Where we have justifiable reason (including legal obligation and legitimate interest)
- Analyse your booking history in order to learn about your interests and preferences to help us target our marketing communications so that they’re more relevant to you
- Send you occasional mail informing you of important news and how you can support Design West.
- For classifying our audience into groups or segments, using booking and publicly available information. These segments help us to understand our audience better and ensure we’re sending relevant messages to each group
- Measure and understand how our audiences respond to a variety of marketing activity so we can ensure our activity is well targeted, relevant and effective
- To contact you to ask you to participate in audience research. You are under no obligation to participate in research and, should you provide any further information, Design West will inform you how any further information will be used. All information gathered for research purposes is anonymised and aggregated for analysis
- Analyse and continually improve the services we offer including our programme, our website and our ticketing service
- To keep our database accurate and relevant
- To inform you of any changes related to your booking
- Undertake due diligence to detect and reduce fraud and credit risk
- To analyse the way in which our website is used and the content and links that you interact with, in order to improve our website services
- To store saved online ticketing/review orders as you navigate around our websites
- To analyse the way in which our emails to you are received by you, and the content and links that you interact with, in order to improve our communications with you
- To help diagnose and manage the website, to audit the geographical make-up of users, and to establish how you have arrived at the website (this is through your public IP address which is a unique number which allows a computer, group of computers or other internet connected device to browse the internet. The log file records the time and date of your visit, the pages that were requested, the referring website (if provided) and your internet browser version)
- We use a number of different sources to aid us in our fundraising activities, including newspaper websites and archives, housing market websites and the electoral roll as well as official websites of companies, charities and other arts organisations. In addition to general use of the internet we also make use of company, director and shareholder information from publicly available information providers.
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH?
We don’t sell your information.
We don’t share the information that is provided to us except:
- with third party service providers, such as hosting providers or an email service provider, who provide services to us so that we are able to fulfil our obligations to you or, where we are able to send you marketing information, to do so
- if you have donated money to us and have notified us that you are registered for gift aid, we will share your information with HMRC & the Charity Commission for the purposes of administering this
- if you have requested that you be added to a marketing list of any of our partners we are running, or have run, an event with during the booking process for that event
- if we have a legal obligation to disclose your information (for example, if a court orders us to)
- if we run an event in partnership with another named organisation we will also share information with that partner to enable it to report to funders & inform audience development strategy. Any data shared for these purposes will be in an anonymised and aggregated form
HOW DO WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION?
Design West is committed to ensuring your personal information is secure at all times. We store & process your personal data securely using suitable physical, electronic & operational procedures to safeguard & secure all personal information. We will ensure that any third parties we use for processing your personal data do the same. We limit internal access to your personal data to only those who require it. We ensure that high standards of security & protection are met by abiding by our Data Protection Policies and Procedures.
We keep your personal information:
For as long as we need to for the purposes for which it was collected or (if longer) for any period for which we are required to keep personal information to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements or until you ask us to delete your personal data, in accordance with your rights below. We will not keep more information than we need.
We will assess the personal data that we hold on a regular basis to determine its relevance and destroy your personal data if we no longer require it or no longer provide any services to you.
If you ask us to stop sending direct marketing communications to you, we will keep the minimum amount of information (e.g. name, address or email address) to ensure we adhere with such requests.
YOUR RIGHTS AND HOW TO CONTACT US
You should find it easy to access & amend the personal information that we hold on you, or request that we stop contacting you. It’s your data & we want to make sure you feel in control of it.
Every email we send to you will include details on how to change your communications preferences or unsubscribe from future communications.
If you prefer, you can contact us by phoning, emailing, or writing using our contact details below.
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal data. These include the right to:
- find out how we process your personal data
- request that your personal data is corrected if you believe it is incorrect or inaccurate
- obtain restriction on our, or object to, processing of your personal data
- ask us not to process your personal data for our own marketing purposes
- withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data and
- at any time you have the right to ask Design West to amend or stop how it uses your personal information including for marketing purposes
If you would like to exercise any of your rights to request what details we hold on you, update your personal details or delete your personal data, or have any concerns or questions about the way in which Design West handles your personal data, please contact us
16 Narrow Quay
THIRD PARTY LINKS
Our Sites may contain links to other sites and resources provided by third parties. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
If you use any third party sites or resources linked from one of our sites, their rules & policies will apply & you should always check these before you submit any personal data to them. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file that is downloaded onto your computer when you visit certain websites and allows a website to recognise a user’s device.
Cookies are used on our websites to enable some services to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information several times during one task & to provide Design West with information to help improve the experience of using our websites.
What cookies do we use?
Cookies set by one of our websites to enable Design West to analyse the website using Google Analytics.
On some of our sites we may also use the Advertising Features of Google Analytics to find out more about the demographics & interests of our visitors.
By tracking what kind of sites you visit & how you interact with ads for different products and services, Google aims to build up a picture of who you are; your age, gender & interests. Using the Advertising Features of Google Analytics means we receive reports that tell us who Google thinks is visiting our site by age, gender and interests.
This information is anonymous & No Personally Identifiable Information is gathered from users.
We use this information to report to our funders, & internally for us to better understand how visitors use our websites.
Third party cookies
How do I restrict or delete cookies?
Your web browser should allow you to restrict or delete cookies set by this Site. The Help function within your browser should tell you how. Alternatively, you can visit www.allaboutcookies.org which provides general information about cookies & how you can manage cookies on your computer.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.