Immersive Audio TourFind in the App Store
A creative story-telling app that’s easy & fun to use.Kathryn Davies, Head of Tourism, Visit Bristol
Why is Bristol so Colourful?
Home to Europe’s largest street art festival & the birthplace of Banksy, Bristol is famed for its vibrant painted streets & colourful horizons.
But why is the city so colourful? Who brought street art to Bristol? What’s the story behind the paint?
Starting on the Harbourside, this walking tour ventures into the south of the city, home of the Upfest murals. Hear the stories behind vibrant Bristol. Listen to graffiti artists, the Graff Master who gave Banksy his start in art & Jody Thomas, creator of the Greta Thunberg mural. Joining the artists are local historians, residents & celebrities – the people who know Bristol best.
Starting Point: M Shed, Museum Square
About the Tours
Explore Bristol in a series of digital audio walking tours. Uncover the city’s secrets, guided by the people who know Bristol best. Listen to local legends as they guide you on your journey, from ship captains to graffiti artists, historians to craft brewers. Vibrant Bristol is created in partnership with Upfest, Show of Strength & VisitBristol.
How does it work?
- The tour is suitable for explorers of all ages & starts on the harbour. Each walking tour takes around an hour, depending on your pace.
- All you need to take part is a smartphone & headphones.
- Go to the App Store or Google Play store & search for the ‘Hidden Bristol’ App
- Download the Hidden Bristol App & select the Hidden Harbour Tour
- Purchase the tour & head to the start point
- Ensure your phone is fully charged & arrive at the start point with your headphones. You can take the tour at any time of day.
- Press ‘Start’ & walk into a pink circle or ‘sound zone’ shown on the map to get going.
- Follow the instructions & Explore!
- Keep an eye on the map throughout. From time-to-time roadworks may pop up & interrupt your journey. If you follow the map, you’ll find your way around any little changes.
- If walking isn’t for you, the tours can be listened to from home. You can trigger each sound zone manually by clicking on them each in turn along the map.
- Don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for traffic, bikes & scooters as you travel around.