The Hidden Harbour
Immersive Audio TourFind in the App Store
A creative story-telling app that’s easy & fun to use.Kathryn Davies, Head of Tourism, Visit Bristol
Choose Your Adventure
What stories does the harbour hold? Which tales lie untold?
In 2020 Bristol’s quayside drew the eyes of the world. Join us for a journey through 1,000 years of history from the Merchant traders, slaves and slavers, to a statue thrown unceremoniously into the water.
Featuring No. 10 Guinea Street, Bristol’s lively harbourside, hidden caves and Mshed docks, this special tour is created by the multi award-winning city poet Vanessa Kisuule in collaboration with the people of Bristol.
Hear from the curators, the shakers and the history-makers of this radical city.
Starting Point: Design West, 16 Narrow Quay
About the Tours
Explore Bristol in a series of immersive audio walking tours. Uncover the city’s secrets, guided by the people who know Bristol best. Listen to local legends as they guide you on your journey, from ship captains to graffiti artists, historians to craft brewers. This tour is created by Bristol Open Doors in partnership with VisitBristol, MShed, Bristol Harbour Festival, 10 Guinea St, Watershed, Bristol Ferry Boats and the people of Bristol.
How does it work?
- The tour is suitable for explorers of all ages & starts on the harbour. Each walking tour takes around an hour, depending on your pace.
- All you need to take part is a smartphone & headphones.
- Go to the App Store or Google Play store & search for the ‘Hidden Bristol’ App
- Download the Hidden Bristol App & select the Hidden Harbour Tour
- Purchase the tour & head to the start point
- Ensure your phone is fully charged & arrive at the start point with your headphones. You can take the tour at any time of day.
- Press ‘Start’ & walk into a pink circle or ‘sound zone’ shown on the map to get going.
- Follow the instructions & Explore!
- Keep an eye on the map throughout. From time-to-time roadworks may pop up & interrupt your journey. If you follow the map, you’ll find your way around any little changes.
- If walking isn’t for you, the tours can be listened to from home. You can trigger each sound zone manually by clicking on them each in turn along the map.
- Don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for traffic, bikes & scooters as you travel around.